Over the weekend, a couple of my cousins came to visit us in Colorado. I was looking forward to seeing them, of course, but also excited to dazzle them with healthy, plant-based food. (Oh how I love to serve skeptical omnivores!)
I was 5:5 all weekend (they loved and raved about everything I made) and my youngest cousin decided by the end of the trip that she was going to go plant-based!
I couldn't be more thrilled -- or proud! Only catch? While her family is supportive of her choices, they're not on board with it themselves so she'll have to fend for herself pretty often.
That's when I took to Facebook, asking the Herbies for some easy meals my 13yo cousin can make herself... suggestions beyond bean burritos and pb&j (which I'd already suggested). Over 100 comments poured in:
Teen Vegan Recipes:
- Whole wheat (or GF) pasta with chickpeas, spinach, olives & marinara sauce or Italian dressing instead.
- Potatoes (cooked in the microwave) with vegetarian chili (canned) on top, or beans, salsa and hot sauce on top.
- Sweet potatoes (cooked in the microwave) with vegetarian baked beans (canned) on top.
- Vegetarian baked beans and crumbled corn chips mixed with broccoli florets.
- Black bean tacos (put beans in taco shells with fixings).
- Noodles with peanut butter and frozen stir-fry vegetables.
- Vegan yogurt with granola or grape nuts and fruit (oats work too!).
- Hummus & vegetable wraps.
- Oatmeal with lots of different fruits and nuts.
- Cous cous (made in microwave) with veggies and Italian dressing.
- "International Stew" from the Esselstyns: 1 can diced tomatoes with chilis, 1 can black beans and 1 can of corn. Heat and eat.
- Microwaveable products (like Amy's or Boca Burgers)
HH Teen Recipes:
- Quick Queso (p. 263, HHC) with salsa and black beans
- Quick Black Bean Burgers
- HH Smoothies like PB Cup or Neapolitan
- Chickpea Tacos
- Salsa Chickpea Lettuce Wraps
- Easy Enchiladas (from the Meal Plans)
- Eggless Egg Salad
- Creamy Carrot Soup (pg. 62, HHC)
- Black Bean & Salsa Soup
- Fruit Salads
- Stir-Fry frozen vegetables over rice (microwave) and a flavorful sauce, such as teriyaki
- Mole Sauce (pg. 284, EHH) to go over rice and tofu
- Cheater GNut Stew (pg. 107, EHH)