May 3, 2012
Cinco de Mayo Party Food Ideas
Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of Mexican culture, heritage, and symbols. But did you know that most Cinco de Mayo celebrations occur outside of Mexico? While Cinco de Mayo is a holiday celebrating the Mexican victory over the French that occurred on May 5, 1862 (according to wikipedia) only the Mexican state of Puebla - where the battle took place - celebrates it.
Here are a few HH recipes that are perfect for a Cinco de Mayo celebration:
- Aztec Corn Salad
- Mexican Chowder (pg. 112, EHH)
- Black Bean & Salsa Soup (pg. 100, EHH)
- Loaded Nachos (pg. 245, HHC)
- Mexican Dip (pg. 230, HHC)
- Low-Fat Guacamole
- Fiesta Bake (pg. 158, EHH)
- Skillet Frijoles Negros (pg. 176, EHH)
- Smokey Black Bean Enchiladas (pg. 105, HHC)
- Mexican Scramble (pg. 27, EHH) wrapped in tortillas
- Black Bean Brownies - adding 1/2 to 3/4 tsp chipotle powder for a little spiciness
Hope everyone has a healthy, safe, & fun weekend!