July 30, 2010
July 27, 2010
My obsession with cinnamon buns runs deep. Although I've created a killer fat-free whole-wheat vegan cinnamon bun recipe to scratch the itch when it needs scratching; it's not exactly instant... or practical on a busy weekday morning. Smoothies, however, are my favorite answer to breakfast and today I combined the two for an amazing cinnamon experience!
All the taste of a cinnamon roll in a healthy, delicious smoothie!
1 whole banana, cold
1 cup plant-based milk
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp pure maple syrup (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a blender, whizzing until smooth.
July 23, 2010
The other day I asked HH's FB fans, "How do YOU make a salad go from ordinary to extraordinary?" and through this discussion several people inquired about how you make salad dressing without oil or fat.
Here are my tips & tricks plus a no-fail quick recipe:
1. squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice over your salad
2. add fresh fruit (or dried fruit) for added flavor instead of a dressing
3. experiment with fat-free balsalmic vinaigrettes
4. substitute tofu (or avocado) for oil in old recipes
5. combine equal parts agave and dijon mustard (pictured)
6. use BBQ sauce as a dressing
7. toss your salad with flavor salsas like pineapple-mango
8. add components to your salad: grains, baked beans, sweet potatoes
9. use fresh juices like carrot juice as a dressing