Nov. 10, 2013
10 Things You May Not Know About Papa Herbivore! Happy 68th Birthday!
Back in September on my birthday I posted a blog of "32 things you may not have known about me"
I thought it would be fun to let my Dad do the same to honor his 68th birthday TODAY! (He said it was hard enough coming up with 10, there was no way he was going to do 68! lol)
In his own words---
10 things you may not have known about me-- by Papa Herbivore
1. Overweight-- As a child and teen, I struggled with obesity and bullying. When I was 13 yrs. old I was 5' 5" and weighed 205. Some used to call me "baby dumplings." Today I am 6' 2" and weigh 200.
2. Interest-- I have always had an interest in adages and quotations. Each day I send Lindsay 2 sayings to hopefully start her day on a happy, thoughtful note. Sometimes she shares the better ones with all her Herbies.
3. My greatest achievements-- Having been married 43 years to my beautiful wife Lenore-- having a successful and beautiful daughter Lindsay-- Quitting smoking 9 years ago-- and going plant-based 2 years ago @ 66.
4. My favorite all-time songs-- "The Sweetest Thing (I've Ever Known)" by Juice Newton. Most of you have never heard this but I used to sing it to Lindsay as a baby. My all-time favorite, along with my wife is "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers.
5. My favorite foods-- Before going plant-based it was sausage (any kind, mainly Italian) and now it's Spicy Sausage from HHC. Today it's dill pickles instead of a piece of cheese when I get hungry. I am obsessed with chickpeas.
6. Favorite sports-- My favorite sports to watch are football and golf. My most favorite annual sporting event to watch--No, not the Super Bowl but the Masters Golf Tournament in Augusta Ga. in the spring.
7. Famous tidbit-- I played high school football with O. J. Simpson @ Galileo High School in San Francisco in my junior year of high school. (Oh well, it was a big deal at one time).
8. Military-- I served in the U. S. Army, Military Police Corps, serving the last year in Korea. I was blessed for not having gone to Viet Nam but praise all those who did during that era.
[Editorial note: My high school sweet heart was also in the U.S. Army Military Police Corps *and* was sent to Korea *and* at the same camp as my Dad, over 35 years later... and without Christopher knowing any of my Dad's history in detail.]
9. One favorite Hobby-- I love to do jigsaw puzzles, the more challenging the better. They soothe the soul.
10. Health-- I have COPD from previously smoking. I have 3 heart stents, and had a mild heart attack 2 years ago, but since going plant-based in my diet and with Lindsay's encouragement, feel better today than I have in many, many years.
Thank you fellow Herbies for listening.