Nov. 20, 2011
This Week's Q&A (Talking Thanksgiving, Stevia, Making Rice Milk & more!)
You've got questions, I've got answers!
1. Do you have any Thanksgiving Recommendations?
Yep! I wrote a post recommending plant-based (vegan) recipes for Thanksgiving.
2. What's extra firm super protein tofu?
It usually says "super protein" on the packaging. It's a really heavy and firm block -- much more firm than "extra firm" tofu. It also has more protein per serving. You can find it at health food stores, Asian markets and some grocery stores if they carry a variety of tofu.
3. Can you make tortillas without white flour or oil?
Truthfully, I've never made my own tortillas, but I did make 100% whole wheat roti (an Indian bread thats somewhat like a tortilla) without oil and while the first few rotis I made were flops, I've got the hang of it now. I used Manjula's recipe and video.
4. In many of your recipes you specify "non-dairy milk." Is this a particular type of milk or can you use soy, coconut, etc? What do you use?
When my recipe specifies for non-dairy milk, you can use soy, almond, hemp, rice -- which ever you like (just don't use coconut milk). I explain more about "milks" in this video and share my cooking preferences!
Also check out my video & post on how to make your own rice milk!
5. What are your thoughts on replacing sugar or agave nectar with stevia?
I personally find stevia appalling taste-wise. I've only tried it a few times and I really didn't care for it. That said, I've read you can replace 1 cup of sugar with 1 tsp of stevia, though I have never tried this myself.